Learn how to shop for and make rice cake with Skratch’s Dr. Allen Lim.
Getting ready for a big training session and looking for something tasty to take with you? Look no further that Dr. Allen Lim's rice cakes. You can find a plethora of recipes in the Feed Zone Portables Cookbook, but here is a sneak peak of a few of Allen's favorites!
Allen doesn't use exact measurement, he goes by his senses. He's also been making rice cakes for over a decade, so his palate is highly tuned. The recipes below contain approximate amounts for 4 cups of dry rice (the max for Allen's rice cooker).
- Rice cooker / large saucepan
- Rice paddle
- Large mixing bowl
- 9" x 12" rimmed sheet pan
- Paper foil for wrapping
- Cheese grater (for savory recipe)
Blueberry Chocolate Coconut
- Sushi Rice (x1.5 water, for this we did 4 cups rice with 7.5 cups water)
- 1 Pint Fresh Blueberries
- 16oz Can Coconut Milk
- 10oz Semisweet Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Raw Sugar
- Juice from 2-3 Lemons
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
Black Pepper Parmesan (Cacio e Pepe)
- 4 cups Sushi Rice (x1.5 water, so 7.5 cups water)
- 8oz Parmesan Riggiano Cheese (grate fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon Braggs Amino
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Rinse rice until water runs clear
- Cook rice per rice cooker instruction
- Carefully (it's hot!) move rice into large bowl
- Use rice paddle to fold in wet ingredients while rice is hot
- Fold in dry ingredients
- Taste! It is salty/sweet enough? Do the ingredient flavors come though? If it doesn't taste good, add what it's missing! These are not instructions as much as suggestions and framework.
- Once it tastes good transfer to sheet pan and spread out to about 1.5 inches thick
- Use rice paddle to cut into 3inx3in squares
- Place 1 square onto Skratch paper and wrap it up!
- Go burn some calories and earn your rice cakes!