This quick, delicious and healthy dish is great as an appetizer, a quick lunch, or even to serve up for a crowd!
We think there's nothing not to love about an avocado, especially when its stuffed with bacon and all the delicious fixings of a great BLT! This quick dish is perfect as an appetizer, to serve up when watching the game for a crowd, and keeps well as a quick lunch too! Make sure you cut all the ingredients into very small pieces so you can fit a large scoop of the filling into the avocado halves. And, don't forget to sprinkle a little bit of lemon juice on the avocado halves to keep them green when stored. To make them gluten free, just omit the bread crumbs!
- 4 strips thick-cut Bacon
- 1 cup toasted, fresh bread crumbled into small pieces (from a sourdough loaf, or other crusty bread)
- 1 cup finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 cup finely Chopped Romaine Lettuce
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch ground pepper
- 4 Large Ripe Avocados
- juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper-towel lined plate. When cool, tear or chop the bacon into small pieces.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the tomatoes, lettuce and mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Add in the chopped bacon and bread cubes. Taste and add a little extra pepper and salt if needed.
3. Cut each avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Sprinkle each with a little bit of the lemon juice.
4. Spoon the bacon stuffing into each avocado half.
5. Serve! Enjoy! Yay!
Makes 8 servings as an appetizer or side dish